Floods affect more people globally than any other type of natural hazard and they cause some of the largest economic, social and humanitarian losses.
In 2013, Zurich Insurance, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), Practical Action, Wharton Risk Management, and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) formed the Flood Resilience Alliance (FRA), a five-year partnership that set out to develop a model that would deliver effective community flood resilience programmes at scale and contribute to shaping the flood resilience agenda of policy-makers and donors.
The resources included are:
- Community testimonials from Indonesia, Mexico and Nepal.
- Community puppet theatre.
- Farm animal protection.
- The Flood Early Warning Early Action System (FEWEAS).
- Plecostomus: alternative family income and livelihood.
- Infiltration wells for flood mitigation in Sewu Village.
- Waste management in Tugu Utara.