This guide is designed to provide information and understanding with a view to building on the existing strong and valuable relationships between parliamentarians and Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies in addessing humanitarian needs.
Areas examined include:
- What is the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement?
- What does ‘auxiliary role’ mean?
- Examples of services that National Societies provide.
- What do I need to know about international humanitarian law (IHL), international disaster response law (IDRL) and other areas of disaster law?
- Why are the Red Cross, Red Crescent and Red Crystal emblems important?
- What is humanitarian diplomacy?
- What can you do as a parliamentarian to strengthen and support your National Society?
Uploaded DocumentsGuide for Parliamentarians (2.73 MB)